Day 22 : #30x30DirectWatercolor2018

June 22, 2018

Day 22, and 25/30!

I wonder if you will be surprised to hear – I’m getting a little tired of watercolor.

If you’re still with us from day one, you might be feeling the same :)

I try to stay positive around here – but this ridiculous project is getting to be a second job :)

Who’s crazy idea was this? hey? I feel like I need a holiday!

So these paintings are done from cel-shots taken on our family trip to Laguna Beach this past Dec.

Laguna has to be the nicest place in the world. In every sense of the word.

Say one thing for Laguna – it’s relaxing there.

So – this is what it looks like when I paint for relaxation.

1. Sasala Wickramasinghe permalink
    June 22, 2018 9:19 AM

Totally love the colours and the composition of this one Mark. I hear you about feeling fed up with watecolour – I find my self craving my fountain pen! :-p but I’m learning a lot and getting comfortable with using the paintbrush to sketch. Definitely enjoying the challenge (still!)

2. June 22, 2018 10:06 AM

In these modern times, we probably do things to excess. The press is to sell things and the “online marketing gurus” say it is so easy to do, but marketing and selling is a full-time job. Also, often contemplating someone else’s craft or art can be done in seconds. Probably always could be, but now many of us are used to seeing hundreds of things online in under a minute and can turn our judgments on them, too!

Right now, I’m crafting corded necklaces and have learned things about them every day (I hand make the cords, design the necklaces, and finish them) and am contemplating what to do with such a talent. Maybe I’ll start participating in craft shows BUT my fun is in the creation, not in the marketing.

I am turning my attention to training and half half-created a video, which is also fun, but again, without a market, even loving friends who want the things I create, I am more or less filling a treasure chest.

Same with drawing. Lately I’ve been drawing things I don’t like to draw (stiff architecture) just to “draw” out the experience. It is fun to solve problems. If, however, you sat me down with sketch paper, I could do ten things an hour, maybe more, generating a lot of nice stuff that would stay stored in my sketch book.

Perhaps the issue is having an audience and people who produce creatively are looking for it, even though we know that all the museums, shows, and publications in the world are peopled by full-time marketers.

For me, the bottom line is I love solving problems which, from my reading of your posts, you do, too. The trick is identifying others who have similar problems and want them solved.

Love the paintings you displayed today!

3. June 22, 2018 10:58 AM

I really like your work. today’s was especially nice!

4. Mary Beth Morrison permalink
    June 22, 2018 11:08 AM

Marc! Of course you’re feeling taxed! Part of the process! Today’s relaxation watercolors show it, that you’re relaxed. They are lovely. I’ve really enjoyed observing your posts this month. You have inspired a lot of us. Thanks!

5. pbass wil permalink
    June 22, 2018 1:09 PM

Anyone can tired of anything! After the 5th scoop, ice cream gets oppressive.
    Imho, better to respect your own inclinations, rather than letting an arbitrary time limit (even your own!) be a slave-driving tyrant. Art _depends_ on our inclinations: letting stuff come up when it’s ready to be expressed. Take a break!

6. Judy Sopher permalink
    June 22, 2018 5:08 PM

Maybe its not good to “have ” to paint–or do anything that is supposed to be enjoyable. Never-the-less, your posts are always appreciated by us. and always are fine works. I also like the abstract look of the last one.

7. June 22, 2018 6:24 PM

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. This experience of 30 x 30 is becoming a chore.
    I am getting ready some paintings for exhibit and I am running low on energy……

• June 22, 2018 6:30 PM

It certainly is long – a month! You don’t realize till you try it eh? People say this same thing about National Novel month. This is the part of the marathon where we’re flagging a bit. But the end is in sight!

8. Ellie permalink
    June 22, 2018 7:19 PM

Marc, I love Laguna Beach and love your (relaxed) paintings even more.

9. joantav permalink
    June 22, 2018 10:48 PM

Love Laguna and your paintings of Laguna. Nice and relaxed!!!

10. June 23, 2018 8:41 AM

I’m tired of watercolor too!!
    So ,some days I needed to sketch on ink to let off (ink+tinting ). I feel that this challenge has given me more confidence on watercolor and ink too.
    Pd: Love your paintings Marc!!

11. sandra p mac diarmid permalink
    June 24, 2018 2:06 AM

it has helped me realize just how much I love (read depend) on pen and ink line..this is really hard.. so this is purification through suffering?.. I read that in a Russian novel of course.. yours are all really inspiring.. looking back you will appreciate them more I will bet…I have learned lots (such as ‘where is my fountain pen?” !!!!!!!!!!!!) glad I have attempted it however..thanks so much