Announcing: #30x30DirectWatercolor2018! Lets do 30 Paintings in 30 Days!

May 15, 2018

I’m excited to announce, a new event: The Thirty by Thirty (30×30) Direct Watercolor Marathon!

For the month of June, myself, and a group of five friends will take on a challenge to paint thirty watercolor paintings in thirty days.

The goal is simple: we all want to do more painting!

Plus, we want to share in the benefits of daily practice.

Painting, like any art, sport, or science, calls for commitment. Like a musician doing scales or an athlete in the gym, a painter needs to paint. Ideally, every day.

For this entire month of June, we’ll be posting our daily progress. Success or failure, inspiration or slog, the five of us will share the results of our experiment – and – we hope some of you will come along for the ride!

What is #30x30DirectWatercolor2018?

• PAINT 30 watercolors in 30 days, from June 1-30 2018.
  • POST your paintings in our new Facebook group: <HERE
    We’d like to centralize the discussion around this group, to spare our usual sketching clubs all the extra traffic this might create :)
  • HASHTAG your work on any other social media (twitter, instagram) with the hashtag: #30x30DirectWatercolor2018.
    This will help people find your work in the future. Here are some FAQs on how to use hashtags: FB | IG | Twitter.
  • Any size, format or subject is ok. I personally hope to paint on location, but it’s going to depend on weather and the situation at home.
  • I plan to paint in watercolor, working as directly as possible. But if you want to tint drawings, or add in some mixed media, we’re not going to be enforcing rules. I won’t however, have a lot of advice about techniques I’m not thinking about this month.
  • Our goal is experiencing sustained daily practice. If it’s better for you to do seven paintings on the weekend instead of one a day, that’s totally ok. Same with posting progress. One a day makes a good story – but do what works for you.
  • It’s also completely normal if you fail to make 30! Or to need a few extra days. Like any marathon, just participating is the first reward. Though I’m sure any of us can catch up with some super fast, super small sketches if we have to!

In the next few days, I’ll post some introductions and advice from the other artists, and a few notes on my sketching kit for the summer. Stay tuned!

Meanwhile, if you want to go back in time and read my very first posts on Direct Watercolor – here’s a little historical archive.

And of course, if you want dive a little deeper, there’s my new book Direct Watercolor <affiliate link, thx). Plus: Here’s some sample pages.

~m

1. Joanna permalink
    May 15, 2018 9:25 AM

Oooh! I can’t wait to follow your posts all next month :D

2. Maria permalink
    May 15, 2018 9:37 AM

Woohoo! Everything is live on my end :) Here’s the Instagram post, too: https://www.instagram.com/p/BizMtT_hpmQ/?taken-by=arttoolkit

3. Sunshine permalink
    May 15, 2018 12:35 PM

I’m excited to give it a try … I’m still a novice, so it’s great motivation to practice! I may even try a ‘first’ which is finding an outdoor location to paint ;) Weather permitting … I’m Canadian, need I say more lol

4. Michele permalink
    May 15, 2018 9:53 PM

How do you sign up?

• May 15, 2018 11:02 PM

There’s no official registration, but if you’re on Facebook you can join the group where everyone can share. (CLICK HERE!). If you’re NOT on Facebook, you can use the hashtag #30x30DirectWatercolor2018 anywhere you can post. On your own blog, or on Instagram, or twitter. You can also just hang around the comments here – but there’s already 400 members in the group! So that’s going to be a happening place :)

5. May 16, 2018 9:24 AM

This is super-exciting! Looking forward to developing my skills over the 30 days!

6. Rita permalink
    May 16, 2018 10:46 AM

I’ll give this a try. I will surprise myself if I actually do 30 paintings (as right ow I have been focused on learning my new DSLR camera, so the paints and brushes have been idle…), but perhaps it will be a kick in the pants. I will post to Twitter.

7. May 17, 2018 9:17 AM

So just to be clear, are ink and watercolor accepted?

• May 17, 2018 9:52 AM

Absolutely – you do you. I’m doing Direct ‘cuz it’s what I need to practice. But everyone’s at a different place :)

• May 17, 2018 4:22 PM

Thanks, I think I will stat by doing less ink, thanks for organizing this

8. May 17, 2018 12:32 PM

Thank you for providing this motivation… Fran

9. Ted permalink
    May 18, 2018 8:08 AM

Marc,
    If I remember correctly, you are limited in your ability to travel this year. As, I’ve truly enjoyed all of your classes on Craftsy, have you considered a lesson on this newest area you are exploring? I’d love to see it!

10. May 19, 2018 5:01 PM

Hello!

That’s sounds like a wonderful Challenge for June. I write a post on my blog about the challenge (in german). I hope it is ok, that I use your banner. I named you and your blog.

I’m very excited about all the wonderful picture and hope that I’ll also paint a lot.

Moony

• May 19, 2018 5:11 PM

Absolutely – share the banner and spread the word, thanks very much !

Trackbacks

1. 30×30 Direct Watercolor Marathon | Expeditionary Art
  2. 30×30 Artist : Suhita Shirodkar | Citizen Sketcher
  3. 30×30 Artist : Anne-Laure Jacquart | Citizen Sketcher
  4. 30×30 Artist : Uma Kelkar | Citizen Sketcher
  5. 30×30 Artist : Liz Steel | Citizen Sketcher
  6. 30×30 Artist : Maria Coryell-Martin | Citizen Sketcher
  7. 30×30 Direct Watercolor: Are you in? | Sketch Away: Travels with my sketchbook
  8. New watercolour challenge for June - Liz Steel : Liz Steel