Day 23 : #30x30DirectWatercolor2018

June 23, 2018

Day 23, 28/30! <soooo close!!!

I remember saying, If it gets tough, we can always cut corners and do some little ones :)

These are 3-up on a 1/2 sheet, so that makes them about 7″ high. Post-card sized.

I can taste the finish line now. Tried to paint something more serious, but gave up and just jumped ahead with these super-fast mini’s. I was really tempted to just finish today – but – this filled the only sheet I had taped, and I still had to scan. So……

So – what’s interesting about these?

They’re done with a very quick underpainting – very messy – which I then spritzed down with an atomizer bottle. (The one I use to mist my pans in the paint box). That’s what’s giving the bled-out edges and weird dripping.

Why?

I dunno.

Just an experiment, done out of frustration. I was thinking – ‘these are not doing it for me’.

‘Maybe I’ll trash ’em but – – – what if I do this. *spritz *spritz *spritz’.

Edit: I just remembered when I figured out this trick. Back when I was drawing in water-soluble ink. <spritzing first shows up in this old post].

I went back in and tightened up the focal areas with opaque-ish-strokes. But I kind of wish I hadn’t. It would be neat to see if I’d left the misted-out stuff alone. Whether they’d have stood up to later examination.

By the way – the reference photos for these came from @castellidelmondo on Instagram. I don’t know them. They seem like one of those re-poster channels on IG where they re-broadcast anything they find in their niche.

Just the thing for random inspiration! Nothing wrong with that when you’re on day 23 of a painting exercise.

~m

1. Judy Sopher permalink
    June 23, 2018 10:36 AM

I can’t understand why you don’t like these. I don’t think they aren’t interesting either. I’m not saying this just to be nice. To be able to put that much feeling into a little painting–or any size painting- is very interesting. They don’t read as copies of photographs.

Wonder what you will paint when the 30 days are up??

2. Yvonne Wagner permalink
    June 23, 2018 11:16 AM

“Bored” with your 30 by 30?
    Why don’t you try using unfamiliar pigments. You know you have almost tubes floating around- we all do lol!

3. June 23, 2018 12:47 PM

Oooooo! very nice!

4. Erik Madsen permalink
    June 23, 2018 1:09 PM

I know how you are feeling, I’ve got two to go, hope to finish today. It’s a press here at the end Marc, but I’ve gained a great deal from it, I’ll share at the end.
    Erik Madsen

5. Morning Waters permalink
    June 24, 2018 1:43 PM

I cannot stop seeing a face in the bluff below the castle in the 2nd painting. 2 eyes, red triangle nose and long straight line of a mouth. HELP!

• June 24, 2018 7:28 PM

Hah! Now you’ve done it! Once someone points out that sort of thing, I can’t un-see either!

• Morning Waters permalink