Day 20 : #30x30DirectWatercolor2018

June 20, 2018

I’m stretching yesterday’s mini-sketches into the second day, by giving you some step-by-step of this broken silhouette.

By the way – by my count, that’s 22/30 paintings on day 20! So we are even a little ahead of target!

How is everyone else doing?

1. Lisaj permalink
    June 20, 2018 9:06 AM

I really like seeing the in progress pictures. :)

2. Gary Guss permalink
    June 20, 2018 9:31 AM

Dead even after 19 days, went on to second sketchbook, this one is filled with Shizen rough paper. tried a portrait with it and its too rough to hold that kind of detail.. should be good to drybrush landscapes has a lot of texture to it. Never used rough before so whole new media

3. June 20, 2018 9:40 AM

Seeing this series of paintings has really been an ” education” and has brought to life the lessons in you wonderful new book on direct painting. Thanks so much!

4. dkcaselton permalink
    June 20, 2018 9:47 AM

I love this series of progress photos!

5. suanc56 permalink
    June 20, 2018 4:24 PM

Thank you so much for the education along with the wonderful paintings! It helps with the visualization process.

6. Bernadette permalink
    June 20, 2018 9:42 PM

Thanks for this series showing your progressive steps. I especially like the shaft of sunlight on the building….stunning! I also like how clean and crisp your colors are. The green of trees beyond the building are luscious.

7. Matthieu Borter permalink
    June 20, 2018 10:26 PM

Took some liberties with the architecture, eh!

• June 21, 2018 12:52 PM

Hah! Yes, – I am sure I’m agonizing architects everywhere! But when it’s for fun, I can’t be bothered about perfection :) Plus – I always like to say – the further you get from your subject, the better the drawing looks. When I’m back home, I doesn’t matter what it really looked like :)

8. June 21, 2018 3:02 AM

I missed this challenge from the beginning, and since you are one of my idols, I will need to come up with approaches that will work for me. So far, it’s all mush. I cannot stop drawing people since the 100 people challenge, though. So you’ve changed my life in some ways. I owe you a huge debt of gratitude. Both you and Liz Steel. Thank you thank you thank you!!

9. June 21, 2018 1:09 PM

Yesterday I tryed to paint the clock tower in Old Montreal, but I didn’t succed to paint a nice sky arround the white tower because there was a lot of brush marks near the tower. How can I do that nicely?