Day 19 : #30x03DirectWatercolor2018

June 19, 2018

Hey! I went outside for an entire day of painting!

Pretty amazing hey. (When you get a chance to do that).

Things are topsy-turvy around the house. (#eldercare #forgetaboutit). Any given day, something random can derail all plans.

So I made a deal to go off on my own for the entire day. Running around our old neighborhood – taking only a few drawing boards and the Art-Toolkit mini palette.

These are two-up on a 1/4 sheet. So that makes them about 7″ wide and random in height.

There’s nothing too serious going on. Just having fun, out on a beautiful summer day, making puzzle shapes. Trying to connect a block, or set of houses anyway, into a single broken-shape.

Well, sort of a single shape, but with some tiny white gaps to allow for edges, and, then going back and re-stating darks.

When I’m just having fun like this, the shapes get a little wiggly. No consistent perspective.

I kind of like the randomness :)

It’s fun to look at how much my drawing has changed. Here’s this same spot from my pen and ink days.

Just one slice of a concertina sketchbook, done back in 2015.

I have to say, in support of Maria’s clever invention – this is why I love the Art-Toolkit mini-palette. I’m getting old enough to want the lightest possible paint-box if I’m going to be holding up the drawing board for a full day. It’s kind of amazing how much difference this small thing makes – not having a full-sized box clamped onto the corner of your board.

It’s always the same: the less you bring, the more you draw!

~m

1. Edwina Fuge permalink
    June 19, 2018 9:40 AM

I’ve been following your progress and it gives me hope for myself! I too am finding how easy my painting takes a backseat to the needs of daily living. Those little vignettes are wonderful.
    Thank you.

2. Judy Sopher permalink
    June 19, 2018 9:57 AM

Love every one. You make it look so easy but it isn’t for me. But I do want to keep trying. It adds so much freshness and movement to a painting. And glad you had a day to do this. My Mom was quite senile her last years and I know how stressing this can be. (I’d go thru it all again just to be with her however)

3. Mimi Garrity Denman permalink
    June 19, 2018 11:09 AM

These are lovely, Marc!

From: Citizen Sketcher Reply-To: Citizen Sketcher Date: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 6:02 AM To: Mimi Garrity Denman Subject: [New post] Day 19 : #30x03DirectWatercolor2018

Marc Taro Holmes posted: ” Hey! I went outside for an entire day of painting! Just little postcards. Done on the run. Taking my time, strolling and sketching like a tourist in my own town. Pretty amazing hey. (When you get a chance to do that). Things are topsy-tur”

4. Heide permalink
    June 19, 2018 11:22 AM

“The less you bring the more you draw.” There’s a great lesson, Marc — both for art, and for life. Wonderful post!

5. Ellen Jenkins permalink
    June 19, 2018 11:36 AM

Marc,

Love your paintings – especially the large white building with the trees! Thank you for taking the time to inspire with the 30 day challenge and writing your blog – always interesting and informative.

What pigments do you have in the mini palette??

Thank you again. Ellen

• June 19, 2018 3:25 PM

Follow that link and there’s a chart with the colors. Thanks Ellen!

6. Cynthia permalink
    June 19, 2018 11:46 AM

Keep posting your daily etchings. Love the progress and getting to know what it’s like in your city.

7. June 19, 2018 12:58 PM

Stunning!

8. June 19, 2018 6:11 PM

I’m gobbling up your daily offerings with great delight! It always seems like a bit of magic what you do, but you throw in enough of your mental machinations that I think I’m getting the gist of it. Thank you for consistently fertilizing the ground of our urban sketching garden. Looking forward to seeing you in Porto!