The Direct Watercolor Palette : From Art-Toolkit.com

May 15, 2018

I’m pleased to show you a little side project that’s evolved out of #30x30DirectWatercolor2018!

One of our 30×030 guest-artists, Maria Coryell-Martin is the designer behind Art-Toolkit.com, a project where she’s creating the ultimate compact watercolor palette. Her system is a unique product based on her experience as a travel sketcher in the most extreme locations around the globe.

At the same time, it’s super-cute and fun for people who are just scooting around town making sketches in their daily lives.

I’ve talked before about the kits Maria has sent me to play with. This year, in preparation for the 30×30 event we decided to go one further!

The Direct Watercolor Palette is a 12 color selection, chosen by me to be my absolute minimum landscape and urban sketching palette. These colors are based on the larger 21 color palette I’ve fine-tuned while working on my book Direct Watercolor.

These are my desert island choices. When I want the smallest possible portable kit, this is what I’d bring.

Maria has created a special limited edition of her Art-Toolkit, set up in my ideal layout, with two big mixing areas, and 12 mini-pans pre-filled with Daniel Smith watercolors in my color choices.

Supplies of this kit are limited! If you’re in the market for a compact kit – maybe to help you with your daily paintings in #30x30DirectWatercolor2018 – order your limited edition Direct Watercolor Palette today!

BONUS TIP! Maria is also running a giveaway for the Direct Watercolor Palette on Instagram. Visit @ArtToolkit [www.instagram.com/arttoolkit/] to enter!

1. tallboyone permalink
    May 15, 2018 12:14 PM

Very cool! So does this limited palette make it easy to do other scenes too besides just landscapes? (buildings, people, coffee shop cups & interiors, etc). Or would that be challenging with this palette? I’m trying to work with a limited palette until I increase my grasp of color, and maybe this is a palette I could start/practice with (you’re one of my favorite urban sketcherz)

• May 15, 2018 12:27 PM

Well, I can’t say if it will make it easier :) But these are the colors I’ve narrowed down to over time. I use the whites and greys in there more than I ever used to – for urban scenes and a slice of life things for sure. So, for *me* it makes things easier :) :) One thing this set CAN’T do is flowers for instance:) It’s a very neutral, well – urban – set. Not too many bright colors! I’d say these are Montreal colors!

2. Lori permalink
    May 15, 2018 12:17 PM

Ridiculous. This is the seventh “post” you have sent out today. I should keep the account open to see how badly you can embarrass yourself. My God. You REALLY blew it because I was a vocal fan.

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 11:09 AM, Citizen Sketcher wrote:

> Marc Taro Holmes posted: ” I’m pleased to show you a little side project > that’s evolved out of #30x30DirectWatercolor2018! One of our 30×030 > guest-artists, Maria Coryell-Martin is the designer behind Art-Toolkit.com, > a project where she’s creating the ultimate compact wa” >

• May 15, 2018 11:05 PM

Hey Lori, thanks for the feedback! You’re the second person who’s mentioned that was not to your liking. Thanks for letting me know – and I won’t do that again. I should have created a separate page for everyone’s bios. I wish I’d thought of that at the time. I apologize!

• miatagrrl permalink
      May 16, 2018 1:41 AM

Whoa, chill out, Lori! I found it really exciting to see all the posts at once because I knew this would be big! Am looking forward to seeing all the watercolors next month! Another great challenge/initiative, Marc!

– Tina

3. mole182@roadrunner.com permalink
    May 15, 2018 12:59 PM

I have one and I love it

Sent from my iPhone

4. Annie permalink
    May 15, 2018 8:49 PM

Thanks so much, Marc, for sending on other artists’ backgrounds, sample paintings, and responses to your great questions. Yes, already feel like I’m part of the group, and wonderful ideas and advice!

5. Fernanda Fernandes permalink
    May 16, 2018 4:11 PM

I´m thrilled to observe that your sample sketches are mostly from your 2016 Algarve sketching tour! Great colors! Seeing u again at OPorto (be prepared…you will not find Algarve´s colors ;-))

6. May 16, 2018 8:14 PM

I use a lot of bright colors and just bought this as a control to explore something new. I’ve never done a challenge before and am exited to try!