Just a reminder: #OneWeek100People2019 starts April 8th!

April 5, 2019

0C26DD90-21E2-4DAA-BC2B-3EC20D87CA11Just a reminder: we have around 1000 artists in the Facebook group ready to help each other cross the finish line next week.

My friend E was doing a double-model the other day – something you don’t get so often – so I jumped at the chance for another warm-up :)

87EF078B-17E8-4567-989A-1E0D283D1F09

81A9CDF1-B7B3-4D9A-BE59-1ED3E1D4F484Some tips on Direct-to-Ink sketching:

Just redraw weaker figures or missed lines right on top. Usually you can save the drawing. The misplaced lines don’t detract if you don’t think they do :) I find the pages with all the over-drawn figures more interesting.

Use a small nib for finding contour, and the biggest nib you have for shadow shapes in contrast. I have a steel brush but you might also like a Parallel Pen if you don’t want to carry bottled ink.

I use dipping nibs so I can change ink color on the fly, but you’d can always just carry more pens. I like a red line for variety from the black ink.

Think about placement on the page – and scale – make some figures much bigger than others, for variety, and to include portraits in with full figures. Use the direction of the figures posture – and even the direction of gaze – to influence the composition.

24FFAA79-CF0E-4D04-9C4E-CBB332989B54D99E6B6F-EC86-4045-A30B-A08FBFE0A5C7I like to use ‘disposable’ paper. These are pieces of Aquarius II folded into little booklets. I  feel SO much more relaxed about bad drawings if they’re not in a sketchbook. It’s a phobia I have about ruining a book. People say don’t let it get to you, but if you can’t let go of the pressure to succeed – this is how I side step.

I’m starting to love this little stack of folding paper I’m building up, just as much as my sketchbooks that I never finish anyway :)

ACA5EA59-8F7D-4DB6-B58F-B7775F33AD2DOkiedoke! See you guys next week in the #100Week100People2019 Facebook group. I’m looking forward to see what everyone gets up to :)69E09829-CBF2-46D8-8DE0-883077267B6925634ACA-6093-4EAB-BA8B-CCD4773C3209

1. Gina Bisaillon permalink
    April 5, 2019 12:49 PM

It’s intimidating to look at what artists like you can do!

• April 5, 2019 1:03 PM

Well I hope I can be inspiring not intimidating :) My message always is – you can do it too – it just takes practice! It’s much faster than getting into shape or learning violin for instance :) (lol that probably didn’t help – but really – we can all make art and enjoy :)

2. Rita Cleary permalink
    April 5, 2019 5:11 PM

Duh…I thought it was this week. I was off to a good start on Monday, but almost nothing since. So I guess I actually have a second chance. Wish me luck. It’s really hard for me, but I suppose something is better than nothing.

3. miatagrrl permalink
    April 6, 2019 1:45 AM

I won’t be joining the FB group, but I’ll be hashtagging on IG! Thanks for initiating this again … it’s one of my favorite annual challenges!

– Tina

4. April 6, 2019 3:20 AM

Fantastic tips and amazing drawings. Thank you for sharing .I feel motivated to try your method of folded paper..it makes a lot of sense and in the end if I am happy with the result I could always sew the pages together to make a nice sketchbook…

5. M Mankin permalink
    April 6, 2019 9:27 AM

Hello, I am new to Facebook….what are the steps to join the group?

6. April 6, 2019 7:28 PM

Beautiful sketches…I like your sidestep!!! See you next week!

…blessed be

7. Lauralyn permalink
    April 8, 2019 12:19 AM

I also make little booklets except that I decorate them beforehand. I like to have a background for my sketches. I will post on FB. I carry them around and bind them in an accordion-style book with a cover when I am done. My 12-year old granddaughter likes me to make them for her but likes the pages left white. She prefers because she is intimidated by sketchbook and wanting perfection. I like because of the portability and less weight to take around.

• April 8, 2019 12:31 PM

Weight is absolutely true. It’s surprising how much it saves. I’ve never stitched mine, but I’ve watched Anne Laure Jacquart do it – something worth trying someday!

• Lauralyn permalink
        April 9, 2019 1:26 AM

This is an accordion sketchbook and not stitched. I add as many “booklets” to it as I want. Currently I just make a hinge with washi tape enforced with double-sided tape underneath.

• April 9, 2019 10:26 AM

I used to make ‘temporary books’ out of single sheet watercolor pages with little tape hinges. So I had a way to show all my loose sketches at the USK conferences :)

8. Neil Barton permalink
    April 10, 2019 1:48 PM

Have you ever tried using plain rolls of various thicknesses of lining paper that paperhangers/ decorators use, I find this a cheap way to make up sketchbooks that cost next to nothing and if you really don’t like it you can always get rid of it, and the heavier weight of lining papers really accept watercolour & inks well, 😎👍