SF Tenderloin Sketchwalk

May 3, 2009

It’s always a great time, drawing in San Francisco’s Tenderloin.

It’s an older area, no longer in it’s prime. There’s faded glory all around you. I’m meaning the architecture, but you could apply that to the locals as well.

Was having a discussion with a 83 year old newly converted Buddhist, he’d patched his slacks with a big red label saying “F**K WAR”. He was telling me how the manager of a local hotel had called two big security guards to escort him out of the bar, due to his offending pants.

I cheated on this first sketch. I started it last Sunday and finished it at home, but the rest of these are from today. This is the Hibernia Building. I really have to do a good painting of this place – we keep hearing they’re going to renovate. You never know when it’ll change forever.

SW corner, Mason and Sutter.

Detail at 970 Post – an impressively decrepit building.

Not sure where this is, but I think it says Samantha Hotel – 972 Bush?

NE corner of Bush and Jones.

1. May 3, 2009 10:51 PM

who says you can’t do perspective? these look pretty solid to me :)

2. May 3, 2009 11:36 PM

ha-ha! practice practice practice! ever one chips away at it a bit hey?

3. May 5, 2009 3:54 AM

I like how the values get deeper right where you know there’d be more detail in the architecture. True talent!

4. May 5, 2009 6:46 AM

beautiful drawings, love your sketchcrawl watercolor paintings below as well!

5. May 6, 2009 9:12 PM

Hi Tarosan – just found your blog through Charly Parker’s and I love your urban sketches especially. Makes me want to take out the paper and find a place somewhere in the city. Haven’t done it for ages because I am currently very busy with my camera and other projects.
    I am sure I will visit your blog more often!
    Best regards from Munich,
    Petra

6. June 16, 2009 5:20 AM

great great great black and white!
    I’m waiting for your next sketchcrawl.

Trackbacks