Day Nine : #30x30DirectWatercolor2019 : Apocalypse Now

June 9, 2019

I wonder if this one didn’t capture the mood of the sketch? Maybe…maybe not…still debating with myself.

In my mind, looking at the black and white, I was seeing a great green slow-moving river surrounded by jungle, something like the Amazon. Seen from the point of view of a boat drifting downstream. Made me think of Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness. For me, first encountered as a teenager through the Coppola film Apocalypse Now.

I did a couple more tries, but – ultimately I think this one still has potential that I haven’t captured. Something about it isn’t black and glossy enough for this series.

No worries, there’s always other go.

1. June 9, 2019 10:36 AM

These are all wonderful, Marc! Enjoying the 30/30 and watching your progress.

2. Dana Richards permalink
    June 9, 2019 10:59 AM

The 1st & 3rd really speak to me of a living Heart of Darkness (a book that really grabbed me as a teenager). The others feel removed by a B&W view of the world.

3. marymc001 permalink
    June 9, 2019 12:05 PM

Boy I really love these with the exception of the last one. It feels like you’re painting the deep emotions or energy contained both within the scene and within the viewer – they’re powerful. Keep going – you’re doing great! I’m really appreciating your work here.

4. joyjoy888 permalink
    June 9, 2019 3:36 PM

Love them! No 1 most of all!

5. June 9, 2019 7:25 PM

I love the moodiness created by the tawny greens and was wondering if yellow would have added brightness but not muddle it… I am almost wanting to go and add a Sakura black micro pen for details… could you share a photo of something you’ve done in same context?

6. June 9, 2019 8:03 PM

These are all wonderful and so powerful!

7. Gina Bisaillon permalink
    June 10, 2019 8:02 AM

What a masterful series!

8. Deanne Rader permalink
    June 10, 2019 1:01 PM

Your paintings let the viewer imagine on their own as to what they see. Love the free art!