Day 15 : #30x30DirectWatercolor2018

June 15, 2018

[ The Parking Garage Series, RAMP TO LEVEL 3 ]

We were going to the mall, because, that is what you do in our society, and I was on the lookout for compositions for 30×30.

There’s nothing more Nothing View than the inside of a parking structure. Concrete slabs, pathetic fluorescent lights, salt and oil stains.

What is going on with these Nothing Views? Maybe you can tell me?

Possibly they’re a reaction to all the pretty houses and beautiful views I’ve painted in the past. You can get bored of anything, even beauty.

Perhaps they’re about my current life situation? (Day 13’s moment of truth, if you missed it).

Mostly it’s just – I don’t have any exotic destinations on my radar, but I still gotta paint. The obsession doesn’t go away.

If the travel sketcher can’t travel, you find new ground below your feet.

1. Janet Lee permalink
    June 15, 2018 9:10 AM

I love everything you paint, even asphalt. I glean life is not great right now and I am sorry. I will Paint a rainbow for you, your wife and her dad. Won’t help much but I am thinking of you.

Sent from my iPad

2. Jen G permalink
    June 15, 2018 9:22 AM

now that’s urban ;-) and you can make it look so fascinating. I find myself studying your technique in a painting you say you lacked inspiration on- how is that detail done, was that part wet on wet, did you let that dry first…maybe the secret is the colours you choose?

3. Shirley permalink
    June 15, 2018 9:27 AM

I really love the atmosphere of these, you really feel as if you are inside, that unique underground, almost surreal claustrophobic feeling. I too went through a phase a couple of months ago of trying to see and find the beauty in the mundane. I sketched rubbish bins, sign posts, broken windows, rusty barrels and old gates, anything that you would normally ignore. I had decided that my attempts at painting flowers and other ‘pretty’ things were never doing justice to the real thing, but by choosing such ugly subjects my attempts could not look any worse than what I was sketching. It worked, it took away the pressure and lowered my expectations and I really had to study the subjects to find pleasing compositions and ways to make them interesting. These are now some of my favourite sketches and I have learnd to be less fussy about finding the perfect view.
    It is always good to look for the beauty, even in the worst of times. My best wishes to you and your family at this tough time.

4. Carmela Sunnyvale permalink
    June 15, 2018 9:40 AM

Perhaps if you were not in your present circumstances you might never have painted this mysterious and spooky view. Great energy is such a static structure!

5. Lorraine Arsenault permalink
    June 15, 2018 10:02 AM

I find these paintings interesting. You can almost smell the fumes left by the cars. Not every subject needs to be beautiful for the painting to be a success. They’re a perfect mixture of abstraction and realism. Excellent works!

6. jcbrown2017 permalink
    June 15, 2018 11:13 AM

Wow! What an impact! Love these!

7. Catherine permalink
    June 15, 2018 11:26 AM

I do think your “nothing views” are wonderful, and it helps us look at everything as a painting subject! Watercolor can be beautiful even in a painting of a parking garage!

8. Dana Richards permalink
    June 15, 2018 11:28 AM

It may be some of both, Marc, but Im seeing a fascination with strong diagonals & more abstraction in your work lately – you seem to gravitate to challenges in your ongoing mission to challenge yourself!

9. Debbie_Thornhill permalink
    June 15, 2018 1:16 PM

Incredibly inspiring work, Marc! I’m astonished by the beauty of these sketches! Thank you 1000 times over – wishing you and family the best on this hard stretch. See you in Porto😊

10. Harry permalink
    June 15, 2018 1:58 PM

Looks like you didn’t have a problem finding a space!

11. June 15, 2018 3:04 PM

This is almost my favorite so far – unexpected and darkly beautiful.

12. Judy Sopher permalink
    June 15, 2018 4:02 PM

I also like the atmosphere of these and the first is really powerful. What is the red you used? Thanks.

• June 15, 2018 8:15 PM

That would be a bit of Pyrrol Orange and maybe a touch of Perlyne Maroon.

13. Agnès permalink
    June 17, 2018 2:29 PM

About “Nothing views” : I also have this kind of interest as an oil painter. I think it is about being in the pleasure of the material itself, playing with the possibilities, the beauty of paint / ink/ watercolor…
    By the way I really like the way you share your practice.

Big like for the parking garage series

Agnès