#OneWeek100People2018: Day Three: Night Sketching

March 7, 2018

BTW, 2018 is finished, you can go here for a list of  > all posts related to OneWeek100People <

Day three of #OneWeek100People2018!

I hope everyone is hitting their stride? Do you think you’re seeing the advantage of daily practice yet?

I felt this one fall out of my brush without the slightest effort.

In fact, I don’t even know who painted those hands. That’s some next-level abstraction.

I’d just ducked into Cafe Pi on St. Laurent – a strange little haunt which is the home of some truly crusty chess players. Have you ever seen a bar full of old woodpushers swearing, brawling and talking trash? It’s impressive.

There was a chill dude playing live music – so I sat right down and sketched him. I hadn’t even really finished when he packed up and stormed out. Shouting that the chess club didn’t appreciate him! He could make more tips in a half hour busking the metro!

I’d been out at figure drawing < hidden naked sketch there, and another one) and on the walk back was finding all these perfect silhouettes of people backlit against the street lights.

Suddenly the whole city is looking like brush-pen miniatures :)

I’m getting kind of silly here – just seeing how small I can make these guys.

That’s a #2 Pointed Round pocket brush by Rosemary and Co.

This was my goal with this year’s #OneWeek100People2018.

To do a little test-flight, and see if I could add people into the same kind of direct watercolor I might do in a travel sketchbook.

Next trip I go on – I won’t take a pencil at all!

1. March 7, 2018 10:46 AM

inspiring ! thanks,,,,

2. Robin permalink
    March 7, 2018 11:08 AM

Wow, those are impressive and effective. How big are they? Nice job!

• March 7, 2018 11:09 AM

5″ high max!

3. March 7, 2018 11:14 AM

Absolutely love what you do!

4. Holly Endres permalink
    March 7, 2018 11:27 AM

The daily sketches haven’t shown up for the last two days in the emails. Just the text. Had to go to the blog to view them. Maybe just my email but maybe not. Thanks. Love all your stuff.

5. Mary permalink
    March 7, 2018 12:33 PM

“I felt this one fall out of my brush without the slightest effort.” – this is reading loud and clear in that sketch. Really powerful. Does this Café Pi sketch not top the one yesterday, which was your latest favourite sketch? I just love this one…

6. Judy Sopher permalink
    March 7, 2018 1:27 PM

Wow-entire scenes. Love them.

• March 7, 2018 2:12 PM

Still very small – under 10 min total I’d bet.

7. Jacqui Isensee permalink
    March 7, 2018 8:41 PM

Love your style Marc. I love very loose, very sketchy. I was surprised when you said you don’t care much for abstract. I love and paint both impression and abstract. And I now want to do more people sketching, your style is the one. I lag behind as I’m not a natural, natural passion and drive but have to work really hard at it. So I’ll be watching you.

• March 7, 2018 8:50 PM

Hey Jacqui – not that I don’t care for it – that I feel I don’t understand it. Like, I don’t get what I’m supposed to do with it. Am I allowed to like the colors? Or is that insulting the deep message? You know? Realism is just easily digested :)

8. tallboyone permalink
    May 18, 2018 11:29 PM

Did you by chance mean Rosemary & Co pocket brush R2 size 8 rather than “size 2”?. I’m trying to research which one to buy :)

• May 18, 2018 11:57 PM

Yes that right!

Trackbacks

1. #OneWeek100People2018: Day Three: Night Sketching — Citizen Sketcher – Mumbais