New Brush: Rosemary and Co, Pyramid Brush

October 10, 2017

I’ve recently been given a couple of brushes to test – this first set of sketches is the Rosemary and Co Series 40 Triangular Pyramid brush. It’s a natural squirrel hair fiber, with a needle sharp point and an odd pyramidal brush-body.

By popular demand – photo of what the brush tip looks like. (Sorry, mine is a little blood-red spattered now).

My first impression – what fun brush!

It’s a little weird – getting the feel of it on my first attempts. But the fine line drawing with the point is excellent, and you’re able to lay it on on the triangular sides, squash into a wedge, or twist the pyramid to get unpredictable chisel shaped mark making. It goes from thin to thick very quickly, with a fun feeling of being on the edge of control.

If you’re at all a fan of gesture drawing, or a direct, calligraphic kind of painting – you might very much enjoy this brush. I’ll be looking forward to doing some more figure drawing or street sketching with it.

1. October 10, 2017 11:23 AM

MARAVILHOSAS PINTURAS OU GRAVURAS SÃO TRAÇOS SUAVES UM ABRAÇO

2. Estelle DeRidder permalink
    October 10, 2017 11:43 AM

Great sketches, once again, Mark – – Thank you for posting. I will certainly look into using this brush. I already use Rosemary’s finer brushes for the illustration work, and with my desire to loosen up and work spontaneously, this is definitely one to explore. Looking forward to seeing more sketches . . .

3. October 10, 2017 11:44 AM

I saw those in Chicago, but didn’t get one..did get the pocket dagger which also has a great point…

4. MarySusan Farmer permalink
    October 10, 2017 2:38 PM

Your description of this brush is vivid, but could you please make a photo of it?

• October 10, 2017 5:14 PM

Click the link in Mark’s post to the website!

5. October 10, 2017 5:16 PM

That looks intriguing Mark. I love the variance of fine lines to deep shading.