Vermont Sketching Tour

September 8, 2017

The final leg of our Urban Sketchers painting tour was three days in Vermont, painting with Anne-Laure and her friend Carol. They’ve both gone on to continue painting in Boston and New York, and I’m back to normal life in Montreal.

A little different than the chaos of the Chicago streets hey? Just a pleasant afternoon sketching the oldest covered bridge in Vermont.

I showed this to a guy down by the Round Barn Gallery and he said “Oh, the Warren Store”. So I guess it’s a good likeness.

Swimming holes are still a thing in Vermont.

I finally got it – why they call them the Green Mountains. You can’t go wrong with a scenic shot around here. These picturesque mountains make every sketch a winner.

Our host Carol can wake up to these mist shrouded hills every morning.

I didn’t get the amazing sunflowers into this sketch. Though I did make a bid for the Queen Anne’s Lace.

A field of flowers is something I haven’t quite figured out. Do you cut around them? But they’re so tiny! Do you try to add them afterwards with opaque? You’ll loose the glow for sure! For now, they’re downplayed in this sketch.

Couldn’t skip painting a barn. I mean, they really are part of life in Vermont. Seems like every other shop, art gallery and restaurant – even the craftsman homes, are made from refurbished barns.

Our host Carol (normally a pastel painter, but this week a watercolorist alongside us!) made sure we got a painting out of every bit of daylight :)

Even this final gasp of sunset over the mountains.

We had a great time in the short visit down here – and I can say, if you’re looking for Plein Air Painting – my goodness, give Vermont a try.

1. MarySusan Farmer permalink
    September 8, 2017 10:43 AM

Vermont! I am so envious! I look forward to your weekly posts and inspirational paintings.

Our daughter and her husband just returned from Portland, ME where they saw the Olson House, now a National Treasure site, where Wyeth painted in the summers. MSF

2. September 8, 2017 10:44 AM

These are such beautiful paintings. They are so true and atmospheric. You really captured the sense of the place. The sunset is particularly amazing — I know the light must have been changing so rapidly.

3. Annie permalink
    September 8, 2017 10:45 AM

Marc, I always appreciate your sketches and the time you take to share them with us. As far as a field of flowers, if you ever find out about it, please share! At least for a field of Texas Bluebonnets, they are such a blue and can be so thick that one can just do the blue. Maybe a bit of leaf !

4. Mary Beth Person permalink
    September 8, 2017 10:46 AM

I’ve only been to Vermont once, but these make me want to go again. I love that you include a few photographs along with your sketches, as these give reference and also help me see where/how a sketcher can add in color to enhance and clarify the light.

5. Jason Mullins permalink
    September 8, 2017 10:47 AM

the colors sing! Thanks for sharing.

6. September 8, 2017 11:27 AM

Dear Marc it’s always wonderful when folks are able to come to Hawaii to paint as well. We hope that someday soon you and other plein air artists could cross the sea and spend some time in the Hawaiian sunshine. Would love to see how ya’ll would paint Pacific blue ocean, palm and coconut trees 🌴, Iolani Palace and other historic buildings.
    I’m imagining how lovely they’d look gracing your sketchbook pages. Enjoy and admire you all so much! 😃 Aloha! Kris

7. Tami permalink
    September 8, 2017 4:33 PM

Beautiful use of color, yes, they do SING and left me with the feeling that I was actually there viewing these wonderful sights! Thanks for the inspiration~

8. September 8, 2017 5:28 PM

Impressive works in Vermont, Mark Taro!
    I wish to find out details about reddish-brown carrying bag for sketching which Anne seemed using standing. I do paint in similar position standing and handling brush, water, palette and etc around my body and paper on board or sketch book.

• September 8, 2017 6:16 PM

Maybe this First Person video of her using a shoulder bag might help: https://youtu.be/LY4Srig2RRg

9. Bernadette permalink
    September 8, 2017 6:10 PM

Gorgeous work! It’s hard to find words except to duplicate the sentiment of all others who comment. Your paintings are so full of pure sunshine drenched colors they warm me on this cool evening.

10. Meena Razvi permalink
    September 9, 2017 1:54 PM

Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing Marc

11. September 9, 2017 2:02 PM

Beautiful work! I’ve been to Vermont a few times. This brought back memories. Such a lovely state.

12. September 10, 2017 3:13 AM

Extraordinary art, just a joy to see. I bet it would be so informative to watch you sketch. The one of the swimming hole is breathtaking. I’d like to dive in.

13. September 11, 2017 11:46 AM

Vermont is a lot more gorgeous than I expected! Your sketches are so lovely and full of movement. Thank you for sharing :D

14. September 14, 2017 11:14 AM

You’re watercolors are excellent. Perhaps you would take a look at my more simplier artwork: