March 2016 Alvor Portugal
Travel Sketching in Watercolor, Alvor Portugal
Please note: This workshop is fully subscribed! Thanks! – Marc
March 20-31, 2016.
This workshop will be a mix of days painting on location in Alvor and nearby Portimao, and day-tripping with a camera or sketchbook. I’ll be teaching you to travel light, paint quickly, and capture the world in spontaneous, colorful sketches!
While we are on location, I’ll begin each session with a demonstration painting introducing a key concept. Students may follow up with a suggested painting exercise, or simply paint in your own manner. Either way I’ll be providing personal feedback to each artist.
Some key concepts we’ll cover:
- Composition and design – focal point, gradient of interest,
- Seeing the painting as silhouette shapes,
- Direct sketching in watercolor – painting wet-on-dry,
- Color mixing and paint viscosity,
- Making color variation, warm and cool, charging in, and color notes,
- Edge control – hard and soft edges of wet shapes,
- and calligraphic brushwork for fine details.
Maximum number of Participants: 15 Artists. There’s no limit to the number of non-artist companions. We need 10 people minimum to go ahead.
Deadline for Registration: August 31st, 2015 (We have to book the accommodation in advance).
- March 20: Pickup provided from Faro airport to town of Alvor
- March 21-22: Watercolor Workshop in Alvor area
- March 23: Day Trip: Luz / Cape St. Vincent / Fortalez de Sagres (Tour / Photos / Sketching)
- March 24-25: Watercolor Workshop in Portimao, (Transfer by bus provided out and back each day)
- March 26-27: Watercolor Workshop in Alvor area + 2 hr Sunset Cruise
- March 28: Day Trip: Monchique / Monchique du Caldes (Tour / Photos / Sketching)
- March 29-30: Watercolor Workshop in Alvor area
- March 31: Return transfer to Faro airport
How to Register:
The workshop is presented by Going Places Together.com in partnership with The Art District Gallery in Kitchener/Waterloo Click HERE to register!
We must receive your deposit by AUGUST 31, 2015 to reserve your room.
- Artist in shared room: $cdn 1676.83
- Non-Artist in shared room: $cdn 1393.98
- Supplement to request single room: + $cdn 282.90
- Deposit per person: $cdn 500.00
Please Note: All transport to painting locations is included in the fees. However, no meals are provided. Each apartment-style hotel room includes a full kitchen and maid service, and there is shopping within walking distance. As well, you must bring your own art supplies. Here’s a few links to my recommendations for painting gear: Watercolor Gear | Sketching Gear.